Paella was created for busy women like me for a mid-week special! It is a one dish wonder, prepared within an hour and full of goodness. This recipe has the usual base of onions, garlic, celery, carrot and tomatoes, with different meats as protein. Serves 4 people and can be forked from the same dish. I suggest it should be washed down with some Shiraz!
1 1/4 cup Paella Rice (short grain)
1 onion finely chopped
2 Clove Garlic crushed
1 Celery stick finely chopped
1 Carrot Finely Chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
50g Streaky Bacon chopped
150g Chicken Breast cut into small cubes
150g Beef Sirloin/Rib Eye Chopped
150g Pork Neck Chopped
2 1/2 cup Chicken Stock (or 1 chicken stock cube diluted in water)
500g Tomato Polpa
1/2 tsp Chopped fresh Rosemary or 1 tsp fresh oregano
1 tsp Honey
1 tbsp Olive oil extra
Garnish - 1 tbsp Flaked Almonds or Chopped Hazelnuts
- Peel and wash all vegetables and prepare as suggested.
- Prepare all meats including bacon as suggested and set aside
- Dissolve the stock cube in 2 1/2 cup boiling water (or use prepared chicken stock)
- Heat Paella dish (approx 30cm) over low heat
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil, onions, garlic, celery, carrot and bacon and give a stir to mix all ingredients. Stir from time to time to fry gently until the onion turns translucent and bacon catches some colour.
- Add chopped beef and pork in the center and fry for approx 5 minutes with the other ingredients already in the dish until lightly browned. Important to have all meats at room temperature to avoid having water oozing out.
- Sprinkle Paprika over meats and give a stir and continue to fry over low heat.
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and drain well, then set aside
- Turn on the oven to 200°c
- Add tomato pulp to paella dish, and give a stir, cook until the sauce boils.
- Add water, honey and chopped fresh herbs, stir and cook until it bubbles again.
- Scatter rice over the whole paella dish, and give just two stirs. (do not stir too much as this is not a risotto)
- Dot the paella with chicken cubes and quickly transfer the dish to the pre heated oven. Cook for 15 minutes until all liquid has been nearly absorbed.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds over the top and continue to bake for further 5 minutes until a small crust forms at the side.
- Take out from the oven, drizzle with some olive oil and serve immediately.